Monday, March 30, 2009

Success!!

I am working on sewing several costume pieces for an upcoming stage version of Sense and Sensibility, in which my brother is to play Colonel Brandon. I have to admit, I was quite intimidated when I received the frock/morning coat pattern, as the garment construction from the Regency era is quite different from that of today. The seams do not lie across the top of the shoulder and straight down the side, but rather diagonally across and behind the shoulder, and front panels curve around the side, to attach in a curve to the narrow back panels. This ensures a well fitted garment. (Which, in my opinion, is a brilliant idea!) I had one frock coat and one morning coat to sew. The frock coat is a cutaway style, double-breasted. The Morning coat is a a curved front style, single breasted with small lapels. Both required alterations on the original pattern. This proved to be a challenge, since altering the garment was completely different due to construction technique. But I have been successful, and the coats are coming together (despite skimpy directions that leave out half the steps...yay for google and fellow costumers online construction journals!) I must admit, the three people I am sewing for will look quite smashing! But the guys are going to roast alive! I will post pictures of everything when I am done...I didn't realize what I'd gotten myself into when I agreed to sew three dresses, two pairs of breeches, four waistcoats, two shirts, two frock coats, hand bags, cravats, and 135 buttonholes...It's fun though!!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

I can't wait to see pictures of all the costumes! Sounds like everything is coming together nicely. :)

Fopias said...

yeah. She's gonna have the best costume closet for her kids someday... Maybe the rest of us will have to pay her to make costumes for our kids someday too :P

 
;