Friday, October 24, 2008

Dumped, dragged, and dirty, but delighted!

I had one of those sorts of days today. Where it starts out bad, and then just gets better as you realize all positive things that happened.

I went out to work my pony this morning, to find that it was cold, and windy and of course it started to drizzle after I started riding. Well, much to my surprise, Rocky was very quiet, and obedient. I groomed him, tacked up, and walked trotted and cantered without incident. THEN, the real pony came out. When I was least expecting it, Rocky took off bucking and kicking, he just went nuts. Needless to say, I came of forwards, over his head. Both feet came loose from the stirrups, so I was off clean. (I was glad for those peacock stirrups!) Well, I managed to hang onto the reins, dumb idea. Rocky took off, with me dragging behind him. At least I was smart enough to let go after a bit. Getting dragged isn't too bad on wet grass. (I was grateful for that rain after all.) I got up and my helmet fell off, unsnapped. (The snap wasn't supposed to come undone!!! However, I'm glad it waited to fall off until I was done going places) So Rocky took off and ran all around our 13 acres, losing both my stirrup pads, and one stirrups leather with it's stirrup. (I'm glad we only have 13 acres to look over instead of 40!) He ran like a maniac for about 5 minutes, and then started to slow down. UNTIL, he got his hind left foot caught in the reins. Then he went nuts again, and kept running for probably 3 more minutes. Then the snap on the right rein came undone, and let the reins loose (Thank Fopias for letting me borrow those braided western reins with the snaps!!) So once he was DONE running like a maniac, I got back on him to finish the lesson. What a ride! It lasted about 70 minutes before the battle of the wills was done. By the end, I had a very submissive polite little pony!!! I hope he remembers the lesson...

This afternoon, I went to the stable to train, and had two fabulous rides! Both the horses did well. Three horses, three successful training sessions. I have to admit, I'm a bit sore, but it was totally worth it!

To all you NON-HORSEY people, who don't quite understand that, it's okay. In summary, it was a good thing.

3 comments:

Fopias said...

Way to go for sticking it Nienna! For those who ARE horse people they understand this! I'm sure if you ask her she had a great time riding even though it was a bad ride. Believe me, I've had those times, that's not an oxymoron because it does actually work! But it is usually painful and sore and irritating. That's when your horse really wishes that he HADN'T misbehaved! Oh well, such is the life of riding. And I love it. Have fun Nienna!

~Fopias

Strider said...

was that post about horses? lol

Nienna II said...

You're brilliant! Lol, yes it was. If you really want to be confused, read the post from the 27th... :)

 
;