Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kids, raccoons, cake, and ponies.

I was the substitute teacher for the 1st and 2nd grade sunday school class today, where there is a known little trouble-maker of a fellow. Engaging stories(try Joseph-pits, jail, Pharaohs, the the whole nine yards!), lots of voice inflection, cool questions, pictures, they go a long way even with little boys! The whole hour long class, all the kids were engaged, interested, and involved in the story, discussion, and learning the memory verse. I was impressed. I wrote the memory verse on the white board, and let the kids erase one or two words at a time. Then we all repeated the verse, including the missing words, until there was nothing left on the board. Games DO make learning fun!

So then we got home from church. And there was a raccoon in our side yard. This raccoon proceeded to look at us all, walk over and meet my pony, and then turn around and come rambling over to meet us. NOT normal raccoon behavior. It was walking on it's tiptoes with it's back arched up. Did I mention that it was 1pm, broad daylight?! So we shot it. Maybe the cat food will stop disappearing now...

And then I tried to make apple cake for snack. But I got busy talking about, oh what was it...who knows. So I ended up adding an extra cup of flour to the cake. So now instead of batter, I had a bowl full of thick goo. So I added another cup of flour, kneaded this new form of apple "cake", rolled it into balls, and baked it on cookies sheets. It tastes just like apple cake. Only with the delicious top crust all around each bite! I think I'm never making apple cake the "right" way again :)

So then I took the extra apple out to my pony, and we played tag! (he's learning how, and catching on fast!) Yes, in my very full crazy orange skirt, and cool orange shirt, with my hair loose and the wind blowing, I played tag with my pony for 10 minutes. I ran like I was wild, barefoot, through the mud and everything...I felt like a kid again!!!

1 comments:

Fopias said...

Real adults can never loose all the kid in them. And yes, even young adults need to play like kids sometimes! Hey, what did I do before dinner today? Well we've got a guy renting the grain bins on the place we're living and he told us we could play in one as he is making trips back and forth to fill it up. So you can run around in the soy beans, jump from the top of the ladder into the beans, dig holes, do handstands, or bury your head or your body (I did NOT do the last three), take pictures of people in the air, throw beans around, and have a thoroughly, totally, entirely, great time acting like a kid. Hey I got great pictures...I just don't have a place to put them. I think that was a long comment about your post Nienna...I need a blog. But yeah, Dad's not sure yet.

 
;