Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sarah Palin: my thoughts in a nutshell

I think she is an ambitious woman with many commendable views.

I cannot find a place in scripture where women in political leadership is addressed. There are certainly women leaders in the Bible, many of them as part of a process to rescue a cursed nation where no men could be found. (I wouldn't go beyond saying that our nation qualifies as that :) )

According to scripture, there are roles for women to serve, even sometimes lead, but that does not include Palin. She is a wife and mother. Scripture DOES make it clear that as a wife and mother, her role is to be supporting her husband, promoting his agenda, caring for her family. She has forsaken that role in order to promote another man and his agenda. I hate to think of the turmoil in her family. I do not think that it is wrong for all women to be in politics, (this is sticky ground. Another essay? No, I need to quit writing!) but I think that Palin is outside her God-given role.

(side note: I find it interesting that in our culture today, we give high honor to people like Condoleezza Rice and Sarah Palin, for their undying commitment to the men they support. The have given their lives to their efforts. Yet at the same time, we fail to recognize or honor the wives who have done this very thing, this most honorable thing, for their husbands! It bothers me!!!)

Enough said. That's a tiny nutshell, but hopefully clues you in to what I think on that issue :)

1 comments:

Country Mom said...

I'm quoting you: "I can't write coherently..."
My thoughts (in a word): Phooey!!!!
Like I've said before, I love your thoughts on women in leadership positions. It clears up a lot of what's been spinning in my mind ever since Mary and I started discussing it when I stayed overnight at her house. You have this gift of being able to take a vague idea and express it in writing in a way that matches exactly what I was thinking, I just couldn't put it that way! Well done!

 
;